Are people really so taken up with the jargon that they don’t realize the impact these policies will have on real live people?
Apparently according to this article:
The abortion debate is slated to return to the House of Commons, with one New Democrat seeking to reaffirm the chamber’s commitment to a woman’s right to choose.
A motion put forward by NDP MP Niki Ashton seeks to have members of Parliament vote on whether access to abortion is a “fundamental question of equality and human rights, both in Canada and around the world.”
The Motion reads thus:
M-510 — May 8, 2014 — Ms. Ashton (Churchill) — That, in the opinion of the House: (a) a women’s right to choose abortion is a fundamental question of equality and human rights, both in Canada and around the world; (b) the key priorities of the government during the upcoming international summit on child and maternal health on May 28-30, 2014 should include empowering women globally, promoting gender equality and supporting reproductive health care including the full range of family planning, sexual and reproductive health options; and (c) the government should lift its policy of refusing to fund international programs that support a full range of family planning and reproductive health care options including abortion.
There is just so much wrong with that, I don’t know where to begin.
I thought that I would post these insightful observations from Isabelle O’Connor in Quebec:
- This motion is null and void as it is a direct infringement on the right to freedom of conscience of every citizen, MPs included;
- It is not access to abortion that will improve maternal health; it is access to maternal health services;
- Deaths caused by legally-induced abortion are never attributed, statistically, to the cause of death labelled « Legally induced-abortion ». Coroners have explained to us that deaths due to legally-induced abortion are coded under « Pregnancy», or under « External cause – medical misadventure ». So, mortality caused by legally-induced abortion is actually attributed to pregnancy, which allows abortion promoters to propagate the urban legend that « childbirth is much more dangerous than abortion » (our findings have been published worldwide, in numerous languages);
- Obviously, abortion does nothing positive for child health. To be tortured and exterminated has no pleasant or positive side whatsoever for a child;
- Abortion is an act of violence, against both women and children. As long as society will perform acts of violence, it cannot expect to reap peace and health as a result, as a fundamental law of nature is that one reaps what one sows;
- Population is the most important resource f a country. If we want to stimulate prosperity, we must do everything possible to allow a population to live and flourish.