I want to draw your attention to this new web site, Porn Fuels Rape.
My friends Daniel Gilman and Jonathan Van Maren have started this important initiative. They held an event at University of Ottawa campus recently.
Here’s what I love about this initiative:
- sexual ethics or the lack thereof is a real problem in our culture, particularly on campus
- this problem is typically addressed by (for lack of a better word) leftist feminists on campus
- leftist feminists on campus want to end sexual abuse, of this I am sure
- they do not come up with productive ideas on how to do so
- men need to speak to men about the nature of the problem
- porn is ubiquitous and I have seen it take good men down
- if we aren’t brave enough to identify porn as a major societal problem, then nothing’s gonna change
Enter Daniel, Jonathan and Peter with a public condemnation of porn, so much of which is coerced and actually rape itself, and which fuels the lucrative industry of human trafficking. They also bring the Christian message of hope and redemption into their presentation as I understand it. (I wasn’t able to attend.)
Courageous Canadians. They should be in the Globe and Mail when they do those Top 30 under 30 rankings. I know they won’t be, and I know these guys aren’t asking for recognition. They’ll get their reward in due course when someone more important than a Globe editor (imagine that!) says, “Well done, my good and faithful servants.”