Dealing with sex selection is not uniquely Canadian. Australians are grappling with it as well. What might be uniquely Canadian is the allergy to discussing the issue.
Health Insurance Amendment (Medicare Funding for Certain Types of Abortion) Bill
In undertaking the inquiry, the Committee should consider:
1. The unacceptability to Australians of the use of Medicare funding for the purpose of gender selection abortions;
2. The prevalence of gender selection – with preference for a male child – amongst some ethnic groups present in Australia and the recourse to Medicare funded abortions to terminate female children;
3. The use of Medicare funded gender-selection abortions for the purpose of ‘family-balancing’;
4. Support for campaigns by United Nations agencies to end the discriminatory practice of gender-selection through implementing disincentives for gender-selection abortions’;
5. Concern from medical associations in first world countries about the practice of gender-selection abortion, viz. Canada, USA, UK.